Revista Española de Cardiología (English Edition) Revista Española de Cardiología (English Edition)
Rev Esp Cardiol. 2011;64:286-94 - Vol. 64 Num.04 DOI: 10.1016/j.rec.2010.10.030

Prevalence and Characteristics of Lipid Abnormalities in Patients Treated With Statins in Primary and Secondary Prevention in Spain. DYSIS-Spain Study

José R. González-Juanatey a,, Jesús Millán b, Eduardo Alegría c, Carlos Guijarro d, Jose V. Lozano e, Gustavo C. Vitale f

a Servicio de Cardiología, Complejo Hospitalario Universitario de Santiago, Santiago de Compostela, A Coruña, Spain
b Servicio de Medicina Interna, Hospital General Universitario Gregorio Marañón, Madrid, Spain
c Servicio de Cardiología, Clínica Universitaria de Navarra, Pamplona, Navarra, Spain
d Servicio de Medicina Interna, Fundación Hospital Alcorcón, Alcorcón, Madrid, Spain
e Centro de Salud Serrería 2, Valencia, Spain
f Departamento Médico, MSD España, Merck, Sharp and Dohme, Merck & Co., Barcelona, Spain

Keywords

Cardiovascular prevention. DYSIS. High-density lipoprotein cholesterol. Low-density lipoprotein cholesterol. Triglycerides.

Abstract

Introduction and objectives

Patients at high risk of suffering cardiovascular events require medical treatment to optimize their lipid profile. The present analysis evaluates the lipid profiles among Spanish patients receiving statin therapy in the international DYSIS study.

Methods

DYSIS is a multinational cross-sectional study carried out in Canada and Europe (n=22,063). In Spain, 3710 patients treated with statin therapy for at least 3 months were included. We compared data relating to demographic parameters and cardiovascular risk profile.

Results

Complete lipid profiles of 3617 patients were recorded. Regarding the high cardiovascular risk patients with complete lipid profiles (n=2273), 78.9% had a disorder in at least one of the three main lipid parameters: low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDLc), high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDLc) and/or triglycerides. LDLc was not within target levels in 61.4% of these high risk patients; HDLc was abnormal in 25.3%, and triglycerides were elevated in 37.8%. Overall, LDLc was outside the target range in 63.1%, and 20.7% (n=668) of those treated with statins were normal for all parameters.

Conclusions

Most patients in this study who received statin therapy, particularly those at high cardiovascular risk, were not at the normal lipid parameter levels according to cardiovascular guidelines. Although it is necessary to wait for the final results of current studies on the use of combined lipid-modifying treatments, the management of lipid levels in Spain still has potential for improvement.

1885-5857/© 2011 Sociedad Española de Cardiología. Published by Elsevier España, S.L.U. All rights reserved

Cookies
x
To improve our services and products, we use cookies (own or third parties authorized) to show advertising related to client preferences through the analyses of navigation customer behavior. Continuing navigation will be considered as acceptance of this use. You can change the settings or obtain more information by clicking here.
Cookies policy
x
To improve our services and products, we use cookies (own or third parties authorized) to show advertising related to client preferences through the analyses of navigation customer behavior. Continuing navigation will be considered as acceptance of this use. You can change the settings or obtain more information by clicking here.